The original one and a half story adobe church-rectory was dedicated January 1, 1881, the first church building of any denomination in Tombstone. It faces south towards Safford Street with a medium pitched gable roof and gable dormers. Originally, the thick adobe walls enclosed two rooms used for church services on the first floor, and two rooms used as a rectory on the second floor. A narrow, winding stairway provided access to the second floor. The original doors were of wood panel design and featured highly detailed Victorian hardware often found on buildings of this age. Originally, the building had a full width, three bay porch with a second floor veranda guarded by a railing. In 1882 an addition was made to the north elevation, which was the rear of the building, in a rectangular shed-roofed form with a porch on the east side.
Through the years, the exterior wall surface has been re-stuccoed at least twice, and two layers of modern stucco are in evidence. At some point between 1900 and 1945, the full porch was removed and replaced with a gabled entry cover. This porch was also subsequently removed. On the interior, a partition dating around 1882 was made on the first floor to provide more privacy for use as a rectory only and closets were framed in on the second floor in more modern times. A modern furnace was installed with ductwork in plain sight, and the interior has been modernized and updated to facilitate the current use as church offices. The exterior of the building has been painted and restored, the foundation shored up, and the original wood shingles on the roof have been covered with new asphalt shingles. Sacred Heart Church recently restored the veranda and porch using historic photographs as a model.
Today, this fine, beautifully restored old building is a proud bearer of the title "Tombstone's first church building", dedicated January 1, 1881.