The 1947 new church building - Sacredheart of Jesus

Go to content

Main menu:

The 1947 new church building

History of the Buildings

     In July of 1947, construction began on the new church building that sits at the corner of N. Sixth Street and Safford, facing south toward Safford Street. Father Thomas Doyle, who served Sacred Heart as pastor for twenty-seven years, directed the building of the new church. Tucson architect, Terry Atkinson drew the plans for the new church of concrete block construction in a Modern Spanish/Modern Mission style design. The building's exterior was stuccoed over the concrete blocks. It had a gabled roof of corrugated metal, and a simple bell tower on the north elevation. Church members donated several stained glass windows in memory of loved ones. Large double entry doors of heavy pine adorned the front of the church. The interior is of simple design with heavy pine ceiling beams and pine doors and trim throughout.
     The building today, both exterior and interior, is basically the same as in 1947, with original doors, windows, exterior stucco over concrete block, corrugated metal roof and simple bell tower, now housing the 1883 bell. Between 1989 and 1991, a small addition was made to the north elevation of the church increasing the size of the altar and adding a storage room. The fifty-six year old church remains in continuous use for church services, baptisms, weddings, and other formal church events.








 
Back to content | Back to main menu